Welcome to DeWitt Ox Roast - continued from front
The Association was formed in 1945 to serve as the governing body for the DeWitt Memorial Building. The Memorial Building was opened for partial use in time for the 1947 Ox Roast festivities, and was formally dedicated in 1948. The building was constructed as a remembrance to veterans who served in all wars. The Memorial Building services as a meeting place for countless service organizations. The event symbolizes what the DeWitt community is all about - People working together to improve our quality of lift.
The bronze plaque placed in the lobby of the Memorial Building by the Blue Star Mothers reads as follows:
As we gather together to have some fun, let us not forget the purpose and intent originally set forth by the Association in 1945.
The words of the Blue Star Mothers are particularly relevant today as we take the time to remember our military men and women, especially those serving in distant lands.
Mayor, City of DeWitt
DeWitt Ox Roast History
On Octobert 6th, 1945, Mrs. Earl Pierson, then assistant librarian, issued a request to every DeWitt Township organization to send two representatives to discuss the possibility of building a community center.
A piece of property on West Washington Street had been generously donated by Mr. and Mrs. Rogerson for the purpose of building a library, but they were also agreeable to the construction of a combination library and community center. The first donation was a pledge of $1,000 from Mr. And Mrs. Verne Walker.
All the local organizations agreed to raise money for this purpose making the vision a reality. Original incorporators of the building included L. J. Griswold, J. B. Vincent, Leo Spayde, Leon Blizzard, Mildred Carris, Hazel Norris, Mr. and Mrs. Vern Walker and Mr. and Mrs. William Rogerson. The groups formed a non-profit organization named the Memorial Association which would oversee the construction and maintain the building in future.